RNA 10 Area
Unity, Loyalty, Comradeship and Patriotism

RNA 10 Area. Falklands 25 - On this Day

As part of the Falklands 25 commemmoration, I will be adding a day-by-day timeline to the site. Memories of those involved, interspersed with press cuttings, contemporary photographs, documents and film clips it is hoped to build an online resource for all.

Don't forget, there is a Falklands Forum available to publicise any forthcoming events and also to share any memories. If you have any pictures or memories for inclusion on the main site, please contact us.

I am indebted to the Falklands Islands Portal and to the Margaret Thatcher Foundation for their help and support in completing the timeline.

You can download an application form for the official Falklands 25 Commemmoration from here.

Jump to March | April | May | June |

June 14th

The infantry attacks were preceded by an artillery and mortar barrage and was accompanied by bombardments by two frigates.
2 Para drove the enemy from the northern part of Wireless Ridge, supported by bombardments from HMS Yarmouth and Ambuscade, then moved ahead to meet up with troops who had begun an advance from the easterly peninsula. They were supported by the light tanks of the Blues and Royals.
The Scots Guards advanced on Mount Tumbledown with support provided by HMS Active. The defenders outnumbered the Scots Guards and brought the advance to a halt while the Royal Artillery, the infantry's mortars and HMS Active and Avenger bombarded the ridge.
They are reported to be flying white flags over Port Stanley. The frigates left Berkley Sound before dawn.
A mixed Army/Royal Marine Scout formation rendezvoused behind Wireless Ridge in the dawn light. The three helicopters were each fitted with wire-guided missiles and made two passes over the ridge to fire on defensive bunkers scoring three direct hits on 105mm gun pits.
The Gurkhas came around the flank of the Argentine marines holding Mount Tumbledown and the defenders finally broke. The Gurkhas moved on to take Mount William. The high ground was now in British hands.
GR3s from the Hermes delivered a laser-guided bomb strike on a battery covering the marines' pull-back from Tumbledown.
By now the only eminence in Argentine hands was Sapper Hil, located a little to the west of Port Stanley.
Naval transport helicopters flew Alfa and Charlie Companies of 40 Cdo forward to Sapper Hill. The first troop were dropped too close to the enemy and two Marines were wounded. As the troops were set down, they were ordered to cease fire. The Argentine Army was negotiating a cease-fire.
By 11.30am 2 Para were in Port Stanley, 40 Cdo overlooking it from Sapper Hill with orders to fire only in self-defence.
The Battle Group learned of the cease-fire via one of the GR3 pilots, who was instructed to hold off from a laser-guided bomb attack and sent back to Hermes with the news that white flags had been seen over Port Stanley.
Admiral Woodward was aware that the negotiations concerned only the Argentine forces on the islands and warned his ships, 'Our guard must not be reduced but we must not jeopardize results so far achieved …. ARG air threat (overland) remains and must be countered. The threat at sea has not changed.'
CAPs continued to fly through the day.
HMS Plymouth and Yarmouth detached to proceed to Berkley Sound in the afternoon to provide supports in the event of the negotiations breaking down.
One of the 820 Sqn Sea Kings took General Moore from the Fearless to Port Stanley where at midnight Greenwich Mean Time, General Menedez and General Moore signed the formal instrument of surrender.
General Mario Menendez surrenders to Major General Jeremy Moore at 9pm FI time;
9,800 Argentine troops put down their arms.
Thatcher informs the Commons at 10.15pm UK time that the Argentines have surrendered;

June 13th

Battle for Tumbledown, Wireless Ridge and Mount William - 15 Britons and 40 Argentines die
HMS Active and Arrow harassed positions on Sapper Hill and Moody Brook and returned to the Battle Group after sunrise.

The Stena Seaspread finished repairs to the Plymouth, who then rejoined the Battle Group. She was replaced by the Glamorgan.

Helicopters continued supply sorties despite snow showers reducing visibility.

Mid-morning, an 801 Squadron CAP sighted an Argentine patrol craft. It was thought to be the Rio Iguazu, driven aground on May 22nd, the Harriers received permission to strafe the vessel.

Seven A-4Bs made for the 3 Cdo Brigade Tactical HQ. Brigadier Thompson had gathered his unit commanders for on 'Operations Group' briefing. Few of the bombs exploded but some landed too close for the commanders' comfort.

HMS Cardiff's Lynx was carrying out the routine forenoon clearance search to the south of the Falkland Sound, when it was attacked by three Daggers, the helicopter crews evasive action prevented the aircraft being damaged.

A pair of GR3s flew from Hermes to deliver a laser-guided bomb attack on the Argentine artillery in the Moody Brook area.

The hospital ship Almirante Irizar, arrived with a team from the ICRC. A 'Red Cross Zone' was established around the Cathedral.

The Rio Iguaz was strafed once again by an 801 Sqn CAP and HMS Penelope's Lynx hit it with a Sea Skua before dusk.

In the late evening, HMS Cardiff detected the first of a number of aircraft coming in from the west, toward HMS Intrepid. It was joined by another two aircraft which proceeded to fly on towards Fitzroy and Port Stanley. When the lead contact was in Sea Dart range, the destroyer fired a single missile. The missile hit the lead Canberra and although the pilot ejected, the navigator failed to escape.

Two further aircraft kept coming. HMS Penelope saw a bright glow and a trail heading toward her and her charge the Nordic Ferry. Penelope took evasive action, firing chaff to screen herself and the Nordic Ferry and opened fire with both Seacat and Bofors as the missile closed. It ditched about 1,000 yards between the two ships.

June 12th

42 Cdo took Mount Harriet, losing one Marine killed and a dozen wounded. Then turned their attention to the next hilltop on the road to Port Stanley, Mount Tumbledown, which had been subjected to bombardment from HMS Yarmouth.
3 Para, supported by HMS Avenger, was tasked with interdicting the Argentine supply route to Mount Longdon and shelling their supporting positions on Wireless Ridge. The first lines of the Mount Longdon defence were taken but the Paras then encountered strong resistance. The 105mm guns of 29 Cdo and Avengers 4.5in gun subdued the defenders but the frigate had to curtail her bombardment after firing 156 rounds. 3 Para sustained the heaviest casualties in any land attack; eighteen men were killed and thirty-nine wounded. Among the dead were Sgt Ian Mackay, who was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross for his courage and leadership.
45 Cdo began to move forward on Two Sisters after the battle on Mount Longdon had begun, but approached in silence and were not detected until they were within 500 yards of the nearest peak. The Marines pressed their advance covered by supporting fire from Glamorgan and Avenger and Two Sisters was taken by the early morning.
HMS Glamorgan and Yarmouth withdrew, leaving Avenger on the gunline to continue support for 3 Para. About seventeen miles south-west of Port Stanley, Glamorgan detected an approaching radar contact - an Exocet fired from a truck on a road behind Port Harriet. Read more
HMS Arrow returned to the Carrier Battle Group before dawn, having spent the night bombarding the Sapper Hill, racecourse and airfield areas.
At first light the helicopters resumed their shuttle runs.
Norland landed 1,016 Argentine passengers at Montevideo.
Exeter was replaced in the Transport Area by Cardiff

June 11th

Battle for Stanley begins on Mount Longdon, Mount Harriet and Two Sisters - 23 paras and 50 Argentines die;
Sergeant Ian McKay of 3 Para is killed on Mount Longdon and subsequently awarded Victoria Cross;
3 Islanders killed during British naval bombardment of Stanley;
Pope John Paul II visits Argentina and denounces all wars as 'unjust'
HMS Cordella and Pict swept Berkley Sound. Pict's acoustic sweep gear failed and Lt-Cdr D G Garwood turned on the trawler's auxiliary machinery and made a noisy sweep of the lane. Lt-Cdr Garwood was awarded a Mention in Despatches for his sacrificial run.
Sea Harriers from 800 Sqn lofted a number of 1,000lb bombs at Port Stanley airfield.
Port Stanley police station came under attack after being identified as being used by the Argentine military staff as headquarters. An 848 Sqn Wessex 5, supported by a 845 Sqn Wessex 'gun-ship', fired two AS.12 missiles at the building. The first went astray, crashing into the water 200 yards from the hospital ship Bahia Paraiso - resulting in the Argentine authorities making a formal complaint - the second entered the upper storey of the police station causing heavy casualties among the Argentine military command's Intelligence Section.
QE2 arrived in Southampton carrying 700 survivors from sinkings of HMS Ships Coventry, Ardent and Antelope. She was greeted by a gun salute fired from HMS Lowestoft and honoured by the presence of HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother in the Royal Yacht Britannia.
The day was spent preparing for the assault on the first line of the Argentine defences.
Uganda and Hecla entered Grantham Sound to embark casualties and left before sunset.
Glamorgan joined the Battle Group in the early afternoon. She Yarmouth and Arrow headed for the gunlines for the night's bombardments.
RAF Harriers dropped cluster bombs on the Argentine positions on Two Sisters, Mount Harriet, Mount Longdon, Mount Tumbledown and Moody Brook barracks.

June 10th

The day dawned bright and clear, allowing the build-up of stores and ammunition.
Falklands Appeal launched under patronage of Lord Shackleton;
Yarmouth's bombardment pounded Two Sisters, Mounts Harriet and William, Sapper Hill and Moody Brook.
HMS Invincible - screened by the Andromeda - made a trip to the west to fly off two Sea Kings to the San Carlos Settlement helicopter-base.
Sir Geraint off-loaded at Teal.
The Argentine Army and Air Force launched a joint dawn strike in an attempt to reduce the volume of British artillery fire.
Forty-four CAP sorties were flown by the two carriers' Sea Harriers during the day.
Blue Rover and Ambuscade began passage from the Battle Group to San Carlos Water. HMS Avenger would spend the night lurking off Fox Bay to catch the Bahia Buen Suceso.
HMS Active and Arrow went inshore to the southern gunline.
Peru sends 10 mirage jets to Argentina to replenish losses.

June 9th

HMS Yarmouth bombarded the Moody Brook area and went to the aid of the Monsunnen as she withdrew from the area.
Unloading at San Carlos went undisturbed but for two air raid warnings.
The unwounded survivors of the two Welsh Guards companies were flown back to San Carlos.
The casualties from the Sir Galahad had received first aid, but the many serious burns cases needed the specialist attention of the Uganda's burns unit.
HMS Yarmouth headed for the gunline off Port Pleasant that night.

June 8th

President Regan becomes first US President to address both Houses of Parliament.
HMS Cardiff and Yarmouth took up the bombardment line to the south-east of Bluff Cove.
HMS Plymouth in Falkland Sound is hit by 4 Argentine bombs but none explode;
Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram are bombed at Fitzroy while the Welsh Guards are waiting to disembark - 51 die including 38 Welsh Guards and 55 are seriously wounded;
War cabinet asked not to reveal Fitzroy casualties;
Landing craft Foxtrot-4 sunk with British vehicles aboard;
3 Argentine skyhawks are shot down by sea harriers;
General Moore finalises battle plan for Stanley

June 7th

President Reaan begins visit to Great Britain.
Pope John Paul II arrives in Argentina and declares all wars as "unjust".
UN Secretary General announces peace plan.
Fearless and her frigates reached her rendezvous before midnight. The Bluff Cove LCUs had not sailed, Fearless was unaware of this and waited until the last possible moment before sailing for San Carlos.
The day dawned bright and clear, allowing the transport helicopters to begin flying at dawn and continue until nightfall.
Hermes withdrew in from the TEZ early in the day to allow her steam turbine machinery to be overhauled.br/> Argentine photo-reconnaissance Learjet shot down over San Carlos by HMS Exeter.
Norland returned to the area to collect the balance of prisoners held in the Ajax Bay compounds.
Sir Galahad embarked troops for Fitzroy Cove.
Alacrity departed for home as her 4.5in gun barrel had exceeded its life.
Junella, Cordella, Pict and Engadine joined the Battle Group and then joined the RFA Olna, Atlantic Causeway and HMS Ambuscade to sail to the transport area.
Cardiff and Yarmouth headed for the southern gunline.
HMS Arrow supported operations in the north-east corner of East Falkland.
Invincible and Brilliant patrolled to the south of Falkland Sound.
HMS Andromeda waited for an RAF Hercules on the north-eastern edge of the TEZ.

June 6th

Scots Guards land at Fitzroy in early morning;
Versailles summit supports British position on the conflict;
Welsh Guards depart San Carlos at night on board Fearless heading for Fitzroy

June 5th

The first CAP of the day was flown off HMS Hermes before dawn and landed at the Port San Carlos strip (which had been christened HMS Sheathbill).
The weather improved, allowing full use to be made of the helicopters in moving equipment and supplies.
42 Commando RM occupy Mount Challenger.
Gazelle helicopter 656 Sqn AAC shot down in 'friendly fire' incident.

June 4th

An inbound convoy anchored in San Carlos Water after dawn.
Sir Galahad began her entry into the Salvador narrows in daylight. There was little risk of air attack as low cloud and mist continued to shroud the ships.
The Bahia Paraiso arrived in the Red Cross box and transferred Argentine wounded from Uganda.
The weather limited helicopter activity and only one 105mm gun could be lifted into Bluff Cove.
The Battle Group had suspended bombardments of Port Stanley until the Exocet threat had been examined.
Exeter arrived on her station that evening and flew off her Lynx, carrying a home-made radar reflector, the helicopter flew along the gun-line pretending to be a ship, in the hope of attracting an Exocet. No missile was fired.

June 3rd

Cardiff and Active rejoined the Carrier Battle Group in the early morning.
Visibility was once again poor and the planned use of Sea Harriers to use baiting tactics in support of another Vulcan anti-radar attack had to be abandoned, leaving the big bomber to attract all the defences' attention.
The bad weather prevented any fighter operations by the carriers.
HMS Minerva was despatched to make a visual reconnaissance along the coast using her Lynx to search for land based Exocet launching sites.
The unloading of Canberra was completed.
RFA Sir Percivale completed unloading at Teal Inlet.
Canberra, Stromness and Blue Rover, escorted by HMS Plymouth, sailed from San Carlos Water that evening.
Plymouth moved on to bombard Port Howard garrison.
The first three minesweeping trawlers left South Georgia.
RAF Vulcan bomber diverts to Brazil with refuelling problems after raid on Stanley airfield.

June 2nd

2 Para reach Bluff Cove;
Argentine military envoys arrive in New York offering to surrender to the UN
Exeter, Active and Ambuscade withdrew from their positions to be back on the Battle Group's screen before dawn.
HMS Avenger covered inbound and outbound convoys before returning to the Battle Group.
Canberra anchored deep in San Carlos Water, off Ajax Bay before dawn.
The day dawned with fog, which would protect the liner's anchorage from air attack as the two Guards battalions and their stores were offloaded. Unfortunately the offloading took longer than planned and Canberra had to remain in San Carlos Water overnight.
The northern approach to Port Stanley was by now properly established. The next stage, supplying the new forward area and bringing up reinforcements and supplies was not straightforward. The number of available helicopters had increased with the arrival of Atlantic Causeway but the LSLs had been reduced in carrying capacity due the damage done to Sir Lancelot and Sir Galahad.
HMS Active and Ambuscade proceeded inshore for a harassing bombardment but the bad weather prevented visual spotting. HMS Cardiff was forming the missile trap off Port Stanley where she detected a single C-130 on a resupply flight. Although Cardiff launched a Sea Dart, the aircraft was able to take avoidance action and landed at Port Stanley. When it took off again twenty minutes later, it was treated to a second Sea Dart from Cardiff.
HMS Arrow bombarded Fox Bay and although Argentine anti-aircraft guns engaged her Lynx which was acting as Arrow's spotter, they did not succeed in damaging the helicopter.
'Friendly fire' incident between an SBS patrol and an SAS patrol.

June 1st

During the night of 31st May/1st June HMS Alacrity bombarded positions to the west of Port Stanley, between Moody Brook and Two Sisters ridge.
Marines were holding secure positions on Mount Kent and Mount Challenger.
Argentine Air Force long-range reconnaissance aircraft were tracked during the morning. A C-130 engaged on reconnaissance had been picked up by HMS Minerva and was shot down by Lieutenant-Commander Ward of 801 using his sidewinder missiles and 30mm cannon against the Hercules.
The Carrier Battle Group acted as a forward area receipt and despatch unit from its position in the eastern section of the TEZ.
Canberra arrived in the afternoon and remained in company with the Carrier Battle Group until she joined Tidepool, escorted by Broadsword, for the afternoon convoy to the Transport Area.
HMS Penelope met a transport Hercules on the north-east edge of the TEZ. Along with the usual stores, the Hercules dropped a number of Army personnel, including Lieutenant-Colonel D. R. Chaundler, who would be taking command of 2 Para, led by Major Keeble since Lieutenant-Colnel Jones's death.
HMS Avenger bombarded the garrison at Pebble Island once darkness had fallen.
HMS Active, Ambuscade and Exeter parted company with the Carrier Battle Group and headed for the Port Stanley area. The two frigates bombarding the area with the Exeter providing a missile trap off the airfield.

May 31st

An RAF Vulcan made an attempt to destroy the TPS-43 radar of VCYA2, using Shrike anti-radar missiles. The results of the attack were regarded as 'unquantifiable' by the British Authorities.
Uganda entered Falkland Sound in daylight and proceeded to Grantham Sound to continue embarking wounded from Ajax Bay.
The Bahia Paraisio, now an Argentine hospital ship was now inside the TEZ, Commodore Clapp exercised his right of search. The Lynxes of Arrow and Minerva found no 'contraband' and received a friendly welcome, particularly from the Executive Officer, who had done special training with the Royal Navy.
The assault helicopters were busy throughout the day, taking the head quarters of 3 Cdo up to Teal Inlet and taking supplies to the Marines and Paras on the northern flank.
The previous night, 17 Argentine troops had occupied Top Malo House farm, located five miles South of Teal Inlet Settlement. On the afternoon of the 31st, a Sea King took nineteen Marines of the Arctic Warfare Cadre and dropped them within a mile of their target. Captain R, Bell and his eighteen NCOs surprised the Argentineans and drive them out to surrender. This was the Marines only daylight engagement of the conflict.
The Argentine Air Force appeared in the Amphibious Operating Area at dusk, but did not approach closer than six miles to San Carlos Water.
HMS Alacrity, Ambuscade and Exeter detached from the Carrier Battle Group, the type 21s to carry out bombardment missions and the type 42 providing the missile trap.
UN Secretary General presented new peace plan.

May 30th

Elk and Tidepool remained in San Carlos Water, unloading ammunition and refuelling the guardships. HMS Penelope was forced to return to the Carrier Battle Group due to mechanical problems.
As the Elk and Tidepool left the Sound on their way to rejoin HMS Andromeda, they passed Uganda who was on her way in. The hospital ship was on her way to a new anchorage in Grantham Sound.
During the night of 29th/30th May HMS Arrow fired 100 rounds at targets in the Fox Bay area, while HMS Ambuscade and Glamorgan bombarded targets in the Port Stanley area.
The seas were still heavy but the wind had decreased and visibility had improved. CAP missions were able to begin from before dawn but the first strike mission was not flown off until later in the morning.
HMS Antrim detached from the Battle Group for South Georgia.
The Argentine Navy used the last of its air launched Exocet's that day, fired by Capitain de Corbeta A Francisco.
That night, Alacrity headed for the Fitzroy area to provide gunfire support in the Mount Kent area.
RAF Harrier damaged by ground fire during attack on Stanley, ditched at sea, just thirty one mile from HMS Hermes, the pilot was rescued by one of the screening helicopters.
45 Commando take Douglas and 3 Para take Teal Inlet;
42 Commando advance on Mount Kent and Mount Challenger;
General Moore arrives at San Carlos;
Pope John Paul II preaches anti-war message in Coventry Cathedral

May 29th

Organisation of American States condemns Britain's military action and calls on the US to stop helping Britain - only the US, Chile, Columbia and Trinidad & Tobago abstain
Major Chris Keeble began negotiations with the defenders of Goose Green before dawn.
Argentine forces surrendered at Goose Green, up to 1,400 taken prisoner. Fewer than 700 British troops had taken the position.
The advance on Port Stanley was going to plan.
RFA Sir Percivale returned to San Carlos Water, escorted by HMS Minerva.
Sir Lancelot's bomb was finally dropped over the side.
At 1135 a pair of Argentine aircraft entered San Carlos Water and were engaged by Rapiers.
Argentine Hercules transport aircraft dropped bombs on mv British Wye, 400 miles north of South Georgia. No damage.
HMS Fearless met Antrim, 100 miles from the eastern edge of the TEZ and transferred Major-General Moore, Brigadier Wilson and their staffs. The LPD then headed for the Carrier Battle Group, accompanied by Antrim.
All 67 wounded from 2 PARA survived and are flown to HMHS Uganda.
Pope John Paul II begins long-scheduled visit to Britain.

May 28th

HMS Fearless met and passed the Carrier Battle Group shortly before dawn.
HMS Arrow continued her bombardment, covering 2 Para's advance through Darwin. She returned to San Carlos Water by dawn.
Air support for the Para's push into Goose Green was to come from No 1 Squadron's GR3, but thick fog engulfed the carriers and no aircraft could fly until the push was well under way.
The advance on Goose Green was covered only by three 105mm Light Guns. As the Paras probed the Argentine defensive lines Lieutenant-Colonel H. Jones made a single-handed charge in which he was mortally wounded, for this action he was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross.
Pucaras based a Goose Green began taking off, armed with rockets and napalm. Machine guns, rifles and the Marine Blowpipe operators engaged them. Two Pucaras were picked off by the blowpipes.
In the late morning two Pucaras flying up Choiseul Sound from Port Stanley, spotted two of 3 Cdo Air Squadron's Scouts, also flying toward Darwin. The Scouts had been called up to collect Major C. P. B. Keeble, second-in-command of 2 Para, from the Battalion Command Post and take him forward to the Tactical HQ, from there they would evacuate the mortally wounded Colonel Jones to the Ajax Bay Hospital. The Pucaras attacked and the Scouts evaded the first pass. The Pucaras then joined in an attack on one of the Scouts, piloted by Lieutenant R. J. Nunn RM, attacking with guns and rockets; they killed the pilot and seriously wounded the crewman. Captain J. P. Niblett RM, piloting the second Scout, and his crewman were subjected to three further attacks which they skilfully avoided. The Pucaras broke off and the lone Scout continued its mission to the battlefield. Both Scout pilots were awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (Lieut. Nunn posthumously).
In the mid-afternoon a stiff breeze was blowing, which improved visibility and while this prevented Argentine naval Macchi 339s from taking off, it was helpful for the three GR3s taking off from HMS Hermes, which turned into it. The Harriers attacked AA gun sites which were firing over open sights at 2 Para. The attack proved decisive and defensive fire from the position slackened from 3.35pm, when it was delivered. The Paras began to make inroads on the Argentine positions.
'Juliet' Company, 42 Cdo (composed mainly of members of Naval Party 8901) are flown to Darwin to reinforce 2 Para.

May 27th

45 Commando and 3 Para set out for Douglas and Teal Inlet;
SAS land in strength on Mount Kent;
The Amphibious Phase was now complete, with the Brigade ashore and virtually self-sufficient.
Sir Geraint and Europic Ferry left San Carlos during the night.
B Company, 41 Cdo, found the first Argentine presence finding a Captain de Corbeta of the Argentine Marine Corps.
Two GR3s dropped cluster bombs on the Argentine garrison, however, when Squadron Leader G. R. Iveson RAF returned for a fourth strafing pass, he was hit by 20mm AA fire and abandoned his burning Harrier. The other Harrier was hit but made it back the HMS Hermes undamaged.
A second attack dropped more bombs in the afternoon. The air raids began in the late afternoon. Shore facilities in San Carlos bridgehead attacked for the first time, leaving 2 unexploded bombs in the Field Hospital: 2 Argentine aircraft destroyed. The bombs remained in the Field Hospital until daylight when a RAF bomb disposal team could examine them. All patients who were fit to be moved were evacuated to HMS Intrepid. Flight Lieutenant A. Swan RAF, slept beside one of the bombs, to reassure the patients and staff who had to remain. These were the only low-level raids to concentrate on the British land forces in San Carlos Water.
The Battle Group was affected by fog, low cloud and rain. This left the carriers unable to operate fighters and only 35 CAP sorties were flown off the carriers during the day.
Two GR3s attacked Port Stanley airfield at noon, using delayed action 1,000 lb bombs with the intention of disrupting supply flights during the night.
HMS Penelope and Avenger were detached to form an anti-surface screen.
The Irishman had the Atlantic Conveyor in tow by mid-evening. Atlantic Conveyor's ordnance had exploded, blowing her bows off, permitting flooding and giving her a 15 degree list to starboard. The tow parted after half an hour, Able Seamen D. P. Betts and G. Bales went across to reconnect a line (as a consequence, the two men were awarded the British Empire Medal). However, as the fog descended, the Irishman lost sight of the Atlantic Conveyor and had no warning when the ship suddenly plunged late that night. The Irishman made a sweep of the area but found only three large containers floating on the surface. The Captain reported the loss of the ship and its position.
Elk, laden with stores made a replenishment run into San Carlos. She was escorted by HMS Ambuscade and RFA Tidepool with HMS Plymouth joining them for the last stage.
HMS Glamorgan, Avenger, Alacrity, Arrow and Yarmouth detached from the Battle Group as darkness fell to bombard inland targets.
263 survivors from HMS Sheffield arrived home in UK.
Large patrol flew to Mount Kent

May 26th

The Carrier Battle Group moved to the eastern section of the TEZ during the night of 25th/26th May.
The Group was joined by HMS Avenger, Active, Bristol, Cardiff, Minerva and Penelope.
The Battle Group spent most of the day replenishing from the RFAs.
HMS Ambuscade was detached to inspect the derelict Atlantic Conveyor.
Brigadier Thomspson gave his orders for the land advance from the beach-head.
Troops began their advance on Darwin.
UN Security Council Resolution 505 instructs de Cuellar to seek negotiated settlement

May 25th

25th May is Argentina's National Day and it is believed that major offensives would be likely.
British destroyer Coventry sunk by air attack - 20 die;
British container ship Atlantic Conveyor is abandoned with 3 vital chinook helicopters aboard after an exocet missile hit sets the ship ablaze - 12 die;
That night HMS Glamorgan returned to the gun line off Port Stanley and bombarded targets in the area.
HMS Plymouth headed for Fox Bay to bombard the Argentine garrison.
HMS Fearless quietly left San Carlos Water.
UN Security Council debate ended.
8 Argentine aircraft are shot down;
SAS unit reconnoitre Mount Kent

May 24th

The fires on HMS Antelope continue to burn through the night. Shortly after dawn another major explosion occurs, the ship's back breaks and she sinks with her bows and stern sticking out of the water. Her survivors are transferred to the Norland during the day.
The morning is clear in San Carlos Water and loading continued.
HMS Coventry and Broadsword take up a 'missile trap' station off Pebble Island.
The Argentine Air Force Commanders change their patterns of approach which allows them to benefit from the surrounding terrain.
The first wave of A-4Bs scores three direct hits on the Sir Galahad, Sir Lancelot and Sir Bedivere which are positioned off Ajax Bay and near-misses Fort Austin;
Sir Galahad and Sir Lancelot have been hit by two 1,000lb bombs which have failed to explode, but started fires and the Sir Bedivere by a bomb which glanced off the crane forward of the bridge, through a bulwark and on into the sea where it explodes.
A wave of Daggers follows but the ships are now alert to the danger and engage the aircraft with Seacat, Rapier and automatic weapons.
The Daggers strafe HMS Fearless and the Sir Galahad and another bomb hits Sir Lancelot but once again this fails to explode.
Another Dagger division has been tracked by HMS Coventry and Broadsword and a Sea Harrier CAP has been vectored to intercept. Three of the Daggers were shot down with Teniente C. J. Castillo losing his life.
Three A-4Cs make an attack on San Carlos Water at about the same time. They too run into fierce gun and missile fire.
The weather deteriorates in the afternoon giving the ships their first natural cover.
The fires on Sir Galahad and Sir Lancelot have been put out and Sir Galahad's bomb is removed during the night. Sir Lancelot's proves more difficult and has to be cut free before it can be removed.
The Carrier Battle Group launches additional aircraft on CAP to guard against any possible dusk strikes.
Eight EEC nations vote to continue trade boycott of Argentina.

May 23rd

HMS Brilliant had joined the Carrier Battle Group during the night, HMS Antelope replaced her at San Carlos, bringing with her the first re-supply convoy made up of the Stromness, Norland and Europic Ferry. The ships had spent the day before, along with Elk and RFA Resource on the edge of the TEZ, transferring hundreds of loads.
HMS Antelope hit by Argentine bomb which fails to explode - 1 crewman dies;
10 Argentine aircraft are shot down.

May 22nd

An Argentine Air Force Boeing 707 on a reconnaissance mission avoided being hit by HMS Coventry's Sea Dart as a flash-door failed safe, preventing missile loading on the launcher.
A second 707 approached the Bristol Group later in the morning. Tidespring had reported the aircraft's presence and HMS Cardiff dropped back from the group. When the 707 came within her range, Cardiff fired a Sea Dart salvo. One missile was seen to burst close to the target which broke away.
HMS Broadsword joined Coventry on the missile trap station off Pebble Island, having watched Ardent's fires spread during the night. Half an hour later Ardent sank.
HMS Brilliant returned to San Carlos Water.
HMS Yarmouth guarded the entrance to San Carlos Water along with HMS Argonaut.
HMS Plymouth and Brilliant were positioned inside.
A strong CAP was maintained, with sixty sorties flying from the carriers. Bad weather on the mainland prevented the Argentine Air Force launching any strikes.
Coast Guard patrol boat Rio Iguazu was strafed by an 801 Squadron CAP in Choiseul Sound. The boat was driven ashore among the kelp.
Goose Green was attacked by four GR3s, causing damage to the fuel dump with cluster bombs. Later in the day Coventry and Broadsword parted company.
Coventry returned to San Carlos Water and Broadsword headed to rejoin the Carrier Battle Group. HMS Exeter arrived and took her place on the picket line.
HMS Brillant and Yarmouth transited south. Shortly before midnight a Lynx was flown to investigate a radar contact made in Lively Sound. The vessel was identified as the coaster Monsunnen. The crew ran the ship aground among the kelp and escaped over the rocks.
Field Hospital established at Ajax Bay.

May 21st

San Carlos landings begin, codenamed Operation Sutton;
British frigate Ardent sunk in San Carlos Water by air attack - 22 die;
Argonaut and Antrim hit by Argentine bombs which fail to explode - 2 die;
2 British helicopters and 15 Argentine aircraft are shot down;
Open debate commences at UN Security Council

May 20th

During the night of 19/20 Glamorgan went inshore to bombard targets between the entrance to Choiseul Sound and Cape Pembroke.
Royal Navy Sea King helicopter from HMS Invincible crashed on a beach near Punta Arenas in Chile. Crew of three burn their machine and go into hiding, later surrendering and being repatriated.
The Amphibious Group turned to the west, leaving the Carrier Battle Group to continue to the south west.
The first offensive mission flown by the RAF from an aircraft carrier since October 1918, was launched from HMS Hermes.
At dusk HMS Glamorgan detached to bombard targets on the south coast. The purpose was to divert attention from events developing in Falkland Sound.
de Cuellar admits failure of UN peace talks;
Thatcher accuses Argentina of 'obduracy and delay, deception and bad faith', tells Commons of collapse of peace process,(read the statement, or listen to it - 12.7Mb .mpeg file), and orders task force into battle;
RMS St. Helena requisitioned by the Task Force - 19 Saint Helenian sailors volunteer to serve aboard alongside naval personnel, and after the end of the War she stays in the Islands as a minesweeper

May 19th

Cabinet gives approval for landings.
HMS Glamorgan spends the night of the 18/19 bombarding targets between Port Stanley and Lively Island.
HMS Brilliant and Alacrity patrol to the north of Falkland Sound.
A stream of warships, RFAs and STUFTs are still heading south from Ascension. Surveillance support is provided by a Nimrod 2P flown from Ascension.
The Battle and Amphibious Groups spend the day east-north-east of Port Stanley moving aircraft, weapons, equipment and assault units.
Troop movements from Canberra to HMS Fearless and Intrepid carried out by LCVP and LCU.
British troop-carrying helicopter ditches at night between ships in the Task Force, 21 lost.
HMS Invincible remained in the TEZ to cover the activity. The last of 809 Squadron's Sea Harriers are flown onto her from the Atlantic Conveyor later in the day.

May 18th

HMS Invicible's first three CAP missions drops six 1,000lb bombs on Port Stanley airfield.
Four Sea Harriers and four RAF Harriers toakes off from the Atlantic Conveyor to HMS Hermes.
The STUFT Europic Ferry was following with the Amphibious Group carrying RN Wessex and RAF Chinook helicopters and ground crews. Once the Amphibious Group met with the Carrier Battle Group the jets would be off the Atlantic Conveyor allowing the helicopters to be transferred for preparation.
The Carrier Battle Group and Amphibious Group rendezvous in the evening and although the Argentine Air Force miss this, they are soon provided with the information by the BBC Overseas Service.
Hopes fade for a successful outcome to United Nations peace negotiations.
Thatcher makes statement to the Commons regarding the Falklands Situation and the status of the Peruvian Peace Plan.

May 17th

British peace proposals transmitted to Argentina;
Helicopter from Invincible lands SAS team in Argentina but they fail to destroy Argentine military aircraft at the Rio Grande base
Argentina's 'Navy Day', it was believed that there would be some major offensive actions.
Invincible's first CAP of the day dropped a couple of 1,000lb bombs on the Port Stanley airfield.
800 Squadron made a photo reconnaissance trip, bringing back pictures of Fox Bay, Goose Green, Port King and settlements in Lafonia.
The Sea Harriers provided defensive CAP for the Battle Group throughout the day in anticipation of any air attacks.
The Argentine Navy launched a Super Etendard attack but without the Neptune's shadowing capabilities, they had not been able to maintain their plot of the Battle Group's movements. This and deception measures put in place by the senior aviators on the British carriers meant that when the pair of Super Etendards popped up to target their Exocets, their radars swept only empty sea.
Helicopters were moved in order to prepare for the arrival of Atlantic Conveyor and her cargo.
HMS Hermes left the group in the mid-afternoon in order to rendezvous outside the TEZ with Atlantic Conveyor. One of Hermes' Sea King 5s was lost in the evening, the aircraft had to be ditched due to instrument malfunction.
Argentine Air Force commander Brigadier Lami Dozo warned that British task force will receive 'massive attack' if it sails within range of Argentine weapons.
EEC renewed sanctions against Argentina for another week: Italy and Ireland lift them altogether.

May 16th

British ambassadors including Sir Anthony Parsons returned to the USA with renewed peace proposals.
801 Squadron dropped more bombs on Port Stanley airfield.
Two armed reconnaissance missions were flown off HMS Hermes.
Argentine freighter Rio Carcarana spotted off Port King was bombed and strafed. The crew abandoned ship and made their way to Port Howard.
The naval auxiliary Bahia Buen Suceso, moored near the civilian settlement at Fox Bay was strafed by the Harriers. Anti aircraft fire was heavy and one of the fighters returned with a bullet hole in its fin.
Late afternoon an 800 squadron sortie was flown off to photograph the damaged ships, Port Darwin, Moody Brook and Port Stanley airfield. The photographs showed another bomb crater on Port Stanley airfield runway. This had been created by the Argentine Air Force unit who had begun to simulate bomb craters using bulldozers to build piles of mud which could be removed at night allowing aircraft to land.
The Amphibious Group came together. Fifteen RFAs and STUFT, HMS Fearless, Intrepid, Antrim, Plymouth, Argonaut and Ardent.
HMS Glamorgan sent inshore to continue bombardment. 130 rounds fired at targets in Port Stanley, Darwin and Fitzroy. The object of this was to convince the Argentineans that landings were to take place to the south of Stanley.

May 15th

"Active Service " declared at midnight.
Bad weather prevented planned photo reconnaissance sorties to cover Port Stanley, Pebble Island and Fox Bay.
801 Squadron dropped 1,000lb bombs on Port Stanley airfield, Sapper Hill and a helicopter support base near Mount Kent.
800 Squadron's CAP dropped six 1,000lb bombs over the airfield.
The Carrier Battle Group operated to the East of the Falklands.
HMS Glasgow joined Coventry on the picket line.
The Argentine navy lost its last Neptune aircraft ending their long-ranging air reconnaissance and shadowing capability.
The weather began to clear in the late afternoon.
HMS Alacrity and later HMS Brilliant detached from the Battle Group for inshore operations.
Troops landed in Grantham Sound.

May 14th

Britain's ambassadors to the US and the UN summoned back to London;
Thatcher warns Britain that a peaceful settlement may not be possible;
SAS attack the Argentine base on Pebble Island and destroy supplies and 11 pucara aircraft;
3 Argentine skyhawk aircraft are shot down by sea harriers
801 Squadron dropped eight 1,000lb bombs on Stanley airfield. 800 Squadron dropped a further two later in the afternoon.
HMS Hermes, Broadsword and Glamorgan detached from the Battle Group to the north of East Falkland.

May 13th

"Reagan's Roving Ambassador">Vernon Walters meets with Chile's General Pinochet. View the report of this meeting.
Bad weather prevented the flight of CAPs and strike sorties.
Brigadier Thompson, Commander 3 Commando Brigade RM, held Orders Group meeting in HMS Fearless.
Five minesweeping trawlers left Ascension for South Georgia.

May 12th

QE2 leaves Southampton with 5 Infantry Brigade comprising Scots Guards, Welsh Guards and Gurkhas
Argentine junta concedes that sovereignty of the Islands isn't a precondition to the UN peace plan
The weather improves, allowing Hermes to send up a CAP (the first since 9th May).
Mid-afternoon Brilliant detects four aircraft heading toward her. Glasgow's Sea Dart loading system fails safe, so she opened fire with her 4.5in gun but this jams after firing eight rounds. Brilliant's Seawolf system fired three missiles in quick succession, Two scored direct hits and a third Skyhawk flew into the sea, the fourth plane dropped a 1,000lb bomb which bounced off the water and over the top of Glasgow's hangar.
Twenty minutes later another raid is detected. Glasgow's engineers were still fixing the Sea Dart systems. This new wave of Skyhawks approached the ships weaving in order to avoid the close-range gunner's aim. This also confused Brilliant's Seawolf, at the moment when it should have fired, the system trained the launchers to their fore and aft positions.
The Skyhawks released their bombs at both ships. Bombs bounced over Brilliant but Glasgow was hit. A 1,000lb bomb entered amidships, 3 feet above the waterline, passed thought the upper part of the Auxiliary Machine Room and exited the ship through the other side at about the same height.
Damage control parties improvised plugs and the ships withdrew on a course which minimised rolling. Read about the attack on Glasgow.
A Sea King ditched.
HMS Cardiff, which was on patrol in the Persion Gulf, left Gibraltar for South Atlantic.
Patrolling Nimrod sighted Argentine Boeing 707.
3 Commando Brigade Operation Order for landing issued.
HS Uganda received first casualties, sailors from HMS Sheffield.

May 11th

Haig sends his deputy General Vernon Walters to Buenos Aires
HMS Alacrity sinks supply ship Isla de Los Estados, and continuea through Falkland Sound checking for mines.
Hospital Ship Uganda arrivea off the Falklands and establishes a 'Red Cross Box' with Argentine counterpart, Bahia Paraiso.
HMS Broadsword and Coventry were despatched to operate to the west of the West Falklands.
Carrier Battle Group joined by RFA Regent and BP STUFT tanker British Elk.

May 10th

Task Force is briefed about San Carlos landing plans
Argentina declares the entire South Atlantic a war zone
Bad weather prevents a great deal of aircraft movement on either side.
The remainder of the Narwal's crew is removed from the trawler by Sea King and the ship is sunk.
HMS Glasgow bombards positions at Moody Brook.
HMS Sheffield sinks while under tow to safe anchorage in South Georgia. Designated a war grave at position 53°04'S, 56°56' W
Bristol Group leaves UK.
HMS Alacrity and Arrow detached for nocturnal operations.

May 9th

Narwal, an Argentine fishing vessel being used as a spy ship, was bombed and strafed by two Royal Navy Sea Harriers. The two carriers flew off three Sea Kings, troops abseiled down to the trawler. Aboard, one man had been killed and eleven more injured.

The prisoners were winched up to the Sea Kings, which then headed back to the carriers. It became clear that one of the Sea Kings had insufficient fuel to make it back to the carrier and HMS Glasgow made her way toward the helicopters. The Sea King was landed on the destroyer's deck with just three feet clearance between the tips of the rotor blades and the flight-deck hangar.
HMS Broadsword and Coventry bombarded positions around Port Stanley.
HMS Coventry shot down an Argentine Puma helicopter with a Sea Dart missile.
Late in the evening HMS Brilliant and Glasgow relieved HMS Broadsword and Coventry on the 'gun-line'.
HMS Arrow and Alacrity patrolled the ends of Falkland Sound.
RFA Sir Bedivere left Ascension.

May 8th

War cabinet dispatches landing force south from Ascension Island;
Argentina rejects Peru's peace proposals
First long-range air supply drops to Task Force in South Atlantic.

May 7th

New peace initiative launched by United Nations secretary-general, Javier Perez de Cuellar.
Britain widened war zone to within 12 nautical miles of Argentina's coast.
mv Norland, carrying 2 PARA, arrived at Ascension to join Amphibious Task Group.
Amphibious Group sailed from Ascension.
Liner Canberra is requisitioned at Southampton upon her return from a world cruise.
Britain freezes $1.4 billion in Argentine assets held in British banks.

May 6th

Two Royal Navy Sea Harriers lost over the South Atlantic at night in bad weather.
Argonaut Group left Ascension.

May 5th

HMS Exeter, a Type 42 destroyer, is ordered to proceed to join the Task Group.
HMS Cardiff, another Type 42, is ordered to proceed to Gibraltar for maintenance and storage.
Emergency meeting of full British cabinet debates Peruvian peace plan

May 4th

Overnight the Carrier Battle Group had moved, the carriers were within 100 miles of Port Stanley with the three Type 42s formed into a picket line.
HMS Sheffield hit by an exocet missile - 20 die; Read More
First British sea harrier piloted by Lt Nick Taylor is shot down over Goose Green;
British forces begin bombarding Argentine positions around Stanley.

May 3rd

Two Lynxes from HMS Coventry and HMS Glasgow attack 2 patrol craft. The Coventry flight sinks one of the craft. The Glagsow's flight targets the Alferez Sobral and launched her two Sea Skua missiles. One of the missiles hits the bridge structure of the Alfrez Sobral, killing the commanding officer and several ratings.
Fog descends over the Carrier Battle Group's operating area.
The Argentine warships pull back to operate in shallower water, where submarines could not follow.

May 2nd

UN and Peru both try to initiate peace talks;
Pym meets UN Secretary General Perez de Cuellar in New York;
Peruvian President Belaunde Terry presents a peace proposal to Galtieri who gives preliminary acceptance with some modifications;
Argentine Fleet Commander Contralmirante JJ Lombardo sets his countermeasures in motion. He creates four task groups to deliver a succession of blows from separate directions.
Carrier Battle Group rejoined by the Glamorgan group, HMS Brilliant and Yarmouth.
HMS Conqueror tracks the movements of the Argentine cruiser General Belgrano.
The three Type 42s were stationed thirty miles up-threat as a picket line.
HMS Glamorgan, Yarmouth, Alacrity and Arrow formed an anti-aircraft and anti-submarine screen protecting the main body of the two carriers and the RFAs Olmeda and Resource, with the Type 22s goalkeeping for the carriers.
CAP sections were flown before dawn.
HMS Plymouth recalled to screen the Carrier Battle Group.
RFA Fort Austin approached the TEZ, HMS Yarmouth was despatched to shepherd her.
By mid-afternoon the Argentine navy's plan had been thwarted by a lack of wind, the Argentine Skyhawks needed at least 25knots of natural wind to allow take off.
Argentine cruiser General Belgrano sunk by torpedoes fired from HMS Conqueror. Read more.
BAS Survey team and two photographers left in HMS Antrim and RFA Tidespring for Ascension.
Russian spy trawler sighted off Ascension.

May 1st

Initial SAS and SBS landings on the Islands;
First Vulcan bomber raid on Stanley airport. The raid comprised eleven Victor tankers and two RAF Vulcan bombers; Read an extract from Sqn Ldr Mel James' diary, and the story of Black Buck 1
Sea harrier aircraft attack Stanley airport and Goose Green;
3 Argentine aircraft are shot down;
Naval bombardment of Stanley begins;
114 inhabitants of Goose Green are imprisoned in the settlement's Recreation Club for the next 4 weeks;
14 Stanley residents previously sent to Fox Bay East are placed under house arrest;
Admiral Woodward's Carrier group entered the TEZ.
HMS Invincible launched the first Sea Harrier Combat Air Patrol (CAP) of the conflict.
HMS Hermes launched its 12 Sea Harriers for attacks on Port Stanley airfield and Goose Green.
HMS Glamorgan, Alacrity and Arrow headed for the Falklands protected by the CAP.
HMS Brilliant and Yarmouth headed to the north-west of the Carrier group on submarine patrol.
HMS Plymouth detached to reinforce South Georgia defences.
By mid-afternoon, the Glamorgan group came within gun range of Port Stanley airfield.
As the Glamorgan group bombarded the airfield they came under attack by three Mirages.
HMS Glamorgan and Alacrity were both near-missed by 1,000lb parachute-retarded bombs and strafing caused some superficial damage to Glamorgan and Arrow, wounding Arrow's Seacat aimer.
HMS Glamorgan tracked Argentine aircraft and gave warnings to the carriers for the rest of the day.
The Glamorgan groups bombardment of Stanley airfield continued until 0135 covering the landings of reconnaissance teams at Port Stanley.
Pym returns to Washington

April 30th

From dawn, Maritime Exclusion Zone replaced by Total Exclusion Zone (TEZ),applicable to all ships and aircraft supporting the Argentine occupation of the Islands;
General Sir Jeremy Moore flies to Ascension for conference with Brigadier Thompson;.
Task force arrives in exclusion zone.
USA declares support for Britain, imposes economic sanctions on Argentina, and offers Britain materiel and other aid

April 29th

Major General Moore flew to Ascension to brief Commodore Clapp and Brigadier Thompson
HM Hospital Ship Uganda leaves Ascension.
HMS Argonaut, HMS Ardent, RFA Regent and RFA Plumleaf arrive at Ascension.
Forward Repair Ship Stena Seaspread arrives at Ascension.
HMS Brilliant and Plymouth meets with Carrier Battle Group.
Vulcan bombers arrive at Ascension Island;
Argentina rejects Haig proposals
Thatcher makes Commons Statement regarding the current situation. Listen to this statement.

April 28th

Antrim Group departs from South Georgia leaving HMS Endurance on patrol.
The Organisation of American States supports Argentina's sovereignty claim but calls for peaceful negotiations.

April 27th

Chiefs of staff present San Carlos landing proposals (Operation Sutton) to War cabinet;
Haig's 'final package' is sent to London and Buenos Aires;
14 Stanley residents regarded by the Argentines as potential troublemakers are send to Fox Bay East
Norland, with 2 PARA embarked, and RFA Sir Bedivere sail from UK.
LSL Sir Bedivere sailed from Marchwood for Ascension.

April 26th

Thatcher declares time for diplomacy is running out; Read the transcript of the Commons proceedings, or listen to the proceedings.(8.7Mb .mp3 file)
RFA Blue Rover reached Ascension.
HMS Intrepid and RFA Bayleaf departed UK for Ascension.
The Santa Fe, is moved form King Edward Point Jetty to the whaling station.
Argentines occupy Port Howard

April 25th

Sir Bedivere arrives in Marchwood from Vancover for loading and re-storing.
Argentine submarine Santa Fe damaged by helicopter attacks off South Georgia
Assault launched on Grytviken
South Georgia recaptured. Read more.
Carrier Group meets with Sheffield Group.
Atlantic Conveyor and Europic Ferry depart for the South Atlantic.
British Tamar reaches Ascension
Tug Irishman reaches Ascension

April 24th

Thatcher considers resigning following Haig's proposed peace plan. Read an extract from Thatcher's autobiography.
Atlantic Conveyor completes fitting out at Devonport.
HMS Brilliant joins Antrim Group off South Georgia.
Argentine submarine Santa Fe arrives at South Georgia.
Hospital ships HMS Hydra and Herald leave Portsmouth.
RFA Brambleleaf heads for England.

846 SquadronApril 23rd

PO K S Casey (from 846 Naval Air Squadron) becomes the first British fatality when his Sea King from HMS Hermes crashes into the sea after dark;
Britain warns Argentina that any military or civilian ship or aircraft representing a threat to the task force will be destroyed

April 22nd

British Tay reached Ascension
Two Wessex helicopters recovering forces lost during abortive landing on South Georgia glacier. All rescued under atrocious weather conditions by HMS Antrim's Wessex, piloted by Lt. Commander Ian Stanley, who was awarded the Distinguished Service Order. Read his citation.
RFA Brambleleaf joined the Antrim Group.
HMS Brilliant detached from Brilliant Group with her two helicopters to support Antrim Group at South Georgia. Captain J F T G Salt, commanding HMS Sheffield deputed to lead the 'Brilliant' Group.
Pym visits Washington with the British response to Haig's proposals;
Britain warns all British nationals to leave Argentina;
British task force arrives in Falklands waters;
Galtieri visits Islands;
Argentine navy commandeers trawler Narwhal for intelligence purposes

April 21st

Organisation of American States passes Resolution 360.
South Georgia operation begins with failed landing by SAS on Fortuna Glacier.

April 20th

British War Cabinet orders repossession of Islands
Canberra arrives at Ascension Island
Hospital ship HM Hecla left Gibraltar.
Canberra and Elk arrived at Ascension.
The tug Salvageman anchored off Ascension.

April 19th

Argentina rejects Haig's plan unless Britain agrees to transfer sovereignty by 31 December 1982 and allow Argentine nationals to settle in the Islands;
EEC foreign ministers declare support for Britain.
Alexander Haig sends telegram to Francis Pym outlining the Argentinean demands. Read also Haig's annotations to the text.

April 18th

Argentine aircraft carrier Veinticinco de Mayo returns to port with engine trouble.
Alexander Haig sends telegram to William Clark explaining the state of negotiations to date.

April 17th

Admiral Sir John Fieldhouse chairs conference at Ascension Island with Admiral Sandy Woodward and 3 Commando Brigade which sets out detailed plans for the retaking of the Islands by force;
The main task force sails south from Ascension Island;
Haig presents Argentine junta with 5-point plan;
Argentine service councils debate Haig's proposals.

16th April

HMS Hermes arrives at Ascension.
Main Task Force departs Ascension.
Admiral Woodward flew north to HMS Fearless for talks with Commodore Clapp and Brigadier Thompson and returned to HMS Hermes the same day.
HMS Invincible arrives at Ascension.
Wideawake airfield on Ascension busiest in world that day.
Stenna Seaspread departs from Portsmouth after being refitted to act as a repair ship.
Fitting out of the Cunard container ship Atlantic Conveyor begins at Devonport.
RFA Tidepool on passage for delivery to Chilean navy summoned back.

15th April

British destroyer group takes up holding position in mid-Atlantic;
Haig returns to Buenos Aires

14th April

Argentine fleet leaves Puerto Belgrano;
Haig returns to Washington to brief Reagan;
Squadron of ships carrying Royal Marines and special forces sent to retake South Georgia rendezvous with Endurance;
Margaret Thatcher makes a statement to the House of Commons
Listen to Margaret Thatcher's Commons statement (9.1mB .mp3 file)
Expatriate Chief Secretary Dick Baker is deported by the Argentines

13th April

Rothesay Class Frigate HMS Falmouth (F113) is taken off the sales list to be re commissioned.

12th April

200 mile maritime exclusion zone around the Islands declared by Britain to prevent Argentine reinforcements and supplies reaching the Islands from the mainland;
British submarine Spartan arrives on station off Stanley;
Haig returns to London

11th April

Admiral Woodward reached Ascension with his other ships and was joined on passage by RFA Apppleleaf.

10th April

Haig arrives in Buenos Aires;
EEC sanctions against Argentina come into effect (against the wishes of Italy and Ireland)

9th April

3 Commando Brigade sail from Southampton aboard Canberra;
European Economic Community approve economic sanctions against Argentina (Ireland and Italy veto)
Alexander Haig contacts President Reagan with his view on the previous days negotiations. Reagan gives his reply. Read Jim Rentschler's views sent to Robert 'Bud' McFarlane.

8th April

Haig and his team arrive in London.

7th April

Reagan approves Haig peace mission;
British Government announces it will impose a 200-mile exclusion zone around the Islands on 26 April;
Liner Canberra is requisitioned at Southampton upon her return from a world cruise;
Britain freezes $1.4 billion in Argentine assets held in British banks 

5th April

Aircraft carriers Hermes and Invincible sail from Portsmouth with other ships;
Carrington resigns and is replaced as Foreign Secretary by Francis Pym; Read the resignation letters.
Junior Foreign Office Ministers Richard Luce and Humphrey Atkins resign

4th April

British submarine Conqueror sails from Faslane;
Argentines occupy Goose Green and Darwin;
Lighthousekeeper and radio ham Reg Silvey makes radio contact with the UK and continues clandestine broadcasts throughout the occupation.

3rd April

UN Security Council passes Resolution 502 by 10 votes to 1 (with 4 abstentions) demanding immediate Argentine withdrawal from the Islands - Argentina refuses to comply;
Labour party leader Michael Foot backs the decision to send the task force;
Emergency session of House of Commons endorses the decision to send the task force but attacks the British Government for not foreseeing the Argentine attack; Read a transcript from the debate.
The first RAF elements of the task force deploy to Ascension Island;
Argentina reinforces its troops on South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands; The Defence of Grytviken.
52 schoolchildren are evacuated from Stanley in a convoy of 18 landrovers.
Listen to Margaret Thatcher's commons speech (11Mb .mp3 file - External link, the Margaret Thatcher Foundation)
and to John Nott's statement (7Mb .mp3 file - External link, the Margaret Thatcher Foundation) to the House of Commons.

2nd April

At midnight Argentina puts Operation Rosario into action by bringing ships into position off the Islands;
Governor Hunt advises Islanders that Galtieri has rejected Reagan's intervention, and declares a State of Emergency at 3.25am;
Argentine special forces land at Mullet Creek at 4.30am, more troops land at York Bay at 5.30am, and by 6am are engaged in battle with the Royal Marines - 3 Argentines are killed;
The main Argentine landing force begins disembarking at Stanley at 8am, by which time the airstrip is cleared and the 25th Regiment flies in;
Governor Hunt orders the surrender at 9.15am - by now the whole town other than Government House is under Argentine control;
Galtieri hails the "recovery" of the Malvinas, saying Argentina had been left no option other than military action, while Carrington tells Parliament "Port Stanley is now occupied by Argentine military forces";
During the afternoon Governor Hunt (dressed in full regalia), other Foreign Office officials and the captured Royal Marines are forcibly evacuated by the Argentines to Montevideo;
Brigadier General Mario Menendez is appointed governor of 'Islas Malvinas' and Dependenciesz;
Stanley renamed 'Puerto Argentino';
Argentines radio news of the surrender around Grytviken at 10.30am;
Royal Marines on South Georgia attack the Argentine forces at 12.30pm but after inflicting heavy damage surrender to a far-superior force at 2.30pm; 
Britain orders Argentine diplomats out of the country;
Bank of England freezes Argentine assets in Britain;
Emergency cabinet meeting approves the sending of the task force to liberate the Islands;
MPs are recalled for a special Saturday sitting of the House of Commons (first since Suez);
9 navy ships on exercise in the Mediterranean sail south;
Britain's UN ambassador Sir Anthony Parsons puts a draft resolution to the Security Council condemning the hostilities and demanding immediate Argentine withdrawal from the Islands

1st April

British submarine Splendid sails from Faslane;
UN Security Council meets at Britain's request and calls for restraint and avoidance of force;
Reagan warns Argentine junta leader General Galtieri not to take military action; View a copy of the Reagan's telegram
Governor Hunt is informed at 3.30pm FI time that Britain now believes a full invasion is planned and summons an immediate meeting of government heads of department;
At 7.15pm FI time Governor Hunt in a radio broadcast warns Islanders of the impending invasion and mobilises the Royal Marines and Falkland Islands Defence Force;
Admiral Leach orders ships on exercise in the Mediterranean to prepare to sail south

31st March

Junta takes final decision to invade the Islands on 2 April;
Violent anti-government riots occur across Argentina;
British intelligence source warns that the Argentine fleet is at sea heading towards the Islands;
Chief of Navy Staff Admiral Sir Henry Leach advises a crisis meeting headed by Thatcher that Britain could and should send a task force if the islands are invaded;
Governor Rex Hunt is informed Britain believes Argentina is planning a submarine landing on the Islands as a means of increasing pressure over South Georgia;
Britain's US ambassador Sir Nicholas Henderson visits Haig in Washington and persuades him to take matters seriously;
Thatcher telegraphs American President Ronald Reagan asking him to warn the Argentines off;
Royal Marines commander Brigadier Julian Thompson is alerted to the crisis.

30th March

Daily Telegraph reports that a nuclear submarine is sailing south;
James Callaghan informs Parliament that in 1977 in response to Argentine pressure Britain secretly sent a nuclear submarine and two warships to the South Atlantic; Original documents 1, 2, 3, 4.
Carrington says a diplomatic solution is being pursued

29th March

Joint Intelligence Committee reports an invasion seems imminent.
Thatcher orders 3 nuclear submarines south to the Islands;
British submarine Spartan sails south to the Islands from Gibraltar;
Royal Fleet Auxiliary Fort Austin sails south to provide support for Endurance;
New Royal Marine detachment arrive Stanley aboard research ship John Biscoe

28th March

Argentina restates its claim to the Falkland Islands and Dependencies, tells Britain there will be no negotiations on South Georgia,
cancels leave for military and diplomatic personnel, sends stores and equipment to the naval bases of Puerto Belgrano and Comodoro Rivadavia, and begins overflights of Stanley;
5 Argentine warships are sighted near South Georgia;
Britain begins contingency planning for the sending of a task force to the Islands;
Carrington asks US Secretary of State Alexander Haig to intercede with the junta in an attempt to avoid military action

27th March

Argentine missile boats Drummond and Granville sail south to join Bahia Paraiso

26th March

Argentine government says it will give all necessary protection to the workmen on South Georgia;
British intelligence source in Buenos Aires warns that an Argentine invasion of the Islands is imminent but the British government dismisses the warning;
Argentine navy set out on scheduled manoeuvres with the Uruguyan fleet;
Argentine junta brings forward its invasion plans ('Operation Rosario') from a national holiday on 25 May or July 9 because of the South Georgia crisis and the worsening economic turmoil and civil unrest;
British Ministry of Defence advises the government against a military response

24th March

Endurance arrives at Grytviken but earlier instructions to remove Argentine workmen are rescinded;
Argentine naval vessel Bahia Paraiso puts a large quantity of stores ashore at Leith together with a marine detachment under the command of Captain Alfredo Astiz

23rd March

Bahia Buen Suceso and 30 workmen sail from Leith

20th March

Thatcher sends Endurance and 24 Royal Marines from Stanley to South Georgia

19th March

Davidoff sends 40 workmen on naval vessel Bahia Buen Suceso to dismantle Leith whaling station on South Georgia - the workmen fail to ask permission to land from the British Antarctic Survey base at Grytviken and upon arrival hoist the Argentine flag - Britain lodges a formal protest

8th March

Thatcher asks the Foreign Office and Ministry of Defence for contingency plans in case of an Argentine blockade or invasion of the Islands

6th March

Hercules aircraft operated by Argentine military airline LADE, supposedly on a mail run to an Antarctic base, lands at Stanley Airport, falsely claiming a fuel leak, and carrying several senior Argentine officers whom the local LADE commandant takes on a tour of Stanley and its environs

5th March

Foreign Secretary Lord Carrington refuses to send a submarine to patrol off the Islands and South Georgia

3rd March

MP Julian Amery asks if "all necessary steps are in hand to ensure the protection of the Islands against unexpected attack" but receives an evasive reply

2nd March

Argentine foreign minister rejects the communique and says that Argentina reserves the right to 'employ other means' if Britain keeps refusing to cede sovereignty

1st March

British and Argentine deputy foreign ministers issue a joint communique praising the "cordial and positive spirit" of sovereignty discussions held in New York

25th February

Deputy foreign minister Richard Luce begins sovereignty talks with his Argentine counterpart Ernesto Ros in New York

9th February

Thatcher confirms retirement of HMS Endurance

3rd February

Britain renews its formal protest at Davidoff's unauthorised landing

2nd February

Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in a private letter to a Conservative Party activist makes clear that she regards the Royal Marine presence in Stanley as sufficient to prevent an Argentine invasion

24th January

Junta's plans to capture Islands revealed in a series of articles in La Prensa newspaper

12th January

Argentine Joint Armed Forces committee beings planning military invasion of Islands

9th January

British Ambassador to Argentina lodges formal protest against unauthorised landing on South Georgia on 20 December 1981 by Argentine scrap-metal merchant Constantino Davidoff